We repaired a timber footbridge today at Moorhouse Woods during a weekend volunteer task. The footbridge was suffering from pretty bad rot in places, particularly on the supporting beams and timber ground surface, making it a bit of a hazard!
We started off by stripping away the rotting timber, then put in some new beams for support and laid a new timber ground surface (it rained for most of the day making this task much more difficult!). We finished off by laying some large stones at each entrance to prevent, or at least limit, further rot.
During removal of the rotting timber we came across a couple of Common Toads, so we decided to name the completed bridge ‘Toad Bridge’!